Game On Expo does not tolerate harassment or discrimination. If you feel that you are being harassed, or see someone else being harassed, please locate a member of our crew, security personnel, or local police department officer right away. If you see something, say something!
Inappropriate costumes or actions may result in a request from our staff to change aspects of your costume. Failure to do so may result in revocation of your credentials and removal from the event.
Shoes are required to be worn while in the convention space. You may remove your shoes for photos if desired, but they must be replaced directly after the photo is taken.
Roller skates/blades or other wheeled items such as skateboards and hoverboards may not be worn/used in the convention space.
Depictions of hate symbols are not allowed and you will be asked to remove them.
Game On Expo has a ZERO TOLERANCE POLICY for harassment and discrimination of any kind, including but not limited to:
- Inappropriate physical contact
- Physical assault and/or battery
- Sexually offensive actions or comments
- Non-consensual photography or recording
- Constant disruption of panels, photo opportunities, and other events
- Racial & ethnic backgrounds
- Sex & gender identity
- Sexual preferences & orientation
- Physical appearance
If your costume has pieces such as wings, spikes, armor, etc. that extend well beyond your person, or you are carrying a large prop, please be aware of your surroundings and of people around you. You may be asked to change your costume or remove your prop from the convention space if it is found to be unwieldy, disruptive, or dangerous.
Please do not block doorways, walkways, or exits with your costume, props, or costume pieces.
If your costume includes any item that covers or partially covers the face, especially if it is not easily removed, upon request, you may be asked for ID and/or additional information by security. Please be sure to keep your ID on you.
Helmets, masks, and hoods should not severely limit or impair the wearer’s ability to see. If your costume includes an eyeless hood or other face covering, considering bringing a friend to act as your “handler” to assist you through crowded spaces.
Game On Expo will always encourage fan convention costume enthusiasts (aka “cosplayers”) to SPEAK OUT against the inappropriate social behavior of a sexual and/or stereotypical nature toward themselves and fellow fans.
The culture of cosplay is one of fun, creativity, and mutual respect. No one should accept inappropriate behavior from their peers. Speak out, speak up, and help keep cosplay comfortable and fun!
If you are taking pictures or video of cosplayers or attendees, you should make every attempt to gain direct consent from each person in your shot. This extends to members of the media, private photographers, and fellow cosplayers alike. Taking secret photos of cosplayers is not permitted at any time. Photos or videos shot with the intent of commercialization without the consent of the subject is prohibited. Cosplayers love to have their photos taken, so just be polite and ask!
Enhanced security procedures will be in effect at the main entrance of Game On Expo, including but not limited to metal wands, bag checks, and police presence.
If you are wearing a costume, please allow additional time to get through the security checkpoint.
All props must be inspected at the Prop Checkpoint, located prior to the security entrance.
Any prop that is deemed unacceptable will not be permitted past security. If you feel your prop does not fit within our prop policy, we recommend leaving it at home.
Props will be inspected and tagged by law enforcement and/or security. Anyone with an untagged prop will be escorted to the Prop Checkpoint. Props will not be allowed into the event without a tag.
Failure to comply with costume rules, checkpoint procedures, or requests from official Game On Expo staff, security personnel, or local police officials will result in revocation of your credentials and removal from the event.
The convention, the facility, and its contractors are not responsible for loss, damage, or theft of any private property including costumes, props, masks, or helmets. If you do not want to have your costume props inspected or tagged, or if you are not willing to comply with these policies, please leave them at home. All costumes and props must be inspected at Security and Prop Checkpoint.
Game On Expo seeks to provide a welcoming, fun, and safe convention and community. We do not tolerate harassment in any form. Discriminatory language and imagery (including sexual) is not appropriate for any venue, including any game sessions and any community resources such as the Game On Expo social media pages. Game On Expo’s staff have both the power and the duty to investigate all reported incidents of harassment and to remove confirmed harassers from Game On Expo’s events both physical and virtual.
Harassment is understood as any behavior that threatens another person or group or produces an unsafe or un-inclusive environment. It includes offensive verbal comments or non-verbal expressions related to gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, age, religious beliefs, sexual or discriminatory images in public spaces (including online), deliberate intimidation, stalking, following, harassing photography or recording, sustained disruption of talks or other events, inappropriate physical contact, and unwelcome sexual attention. The behavior above is not limited to explicit statements, but also meant to include comments made that could be deemed as in violation of the policy. Game On Expo’s Management is the ultimate adjudicator in any disputes arising from behavior at the event and on social media.
- Initial Incident If you are being harassed, notice that someone else is being harassed, or have any other concerns, please first consider informing the offender that the speech or behavior is problematic and that you would like them to stop. Oftentimes, the offending behavior is unintentional, and the accidental offender and offended will resolve the incident by ceasing the behavior and/or apologizing. If you believe that bringing up the incident with the offender will have negative consequences for you or will only lead to further offenses, then please inform a staff member (Black Logo shirts) about the incident.
- Escalation If the offender insists that he/she did not offend, or if the offender continues the harassment after being asked to stop, then you will need a third party to step in. Find a Game On Expo staff member and let them know about the incident. If you are on the Game On Expo’s Facebook page, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Investigation The Game On Expo staff are obligated to investigate thoroughly any reported incidents of harassment, seeking private accounts of the incident from all concerned parties.
Game On Expo attendees asked to stop any harassing behavior are expected to comply immediately. If an attendee engages in harassing behavior, staff may take any action they deem appropriate, including warning the offender, expelling the offender from the Game On Expo event, or banning the offender from the Game On Expo community.
Specific sanctions may include, but are not limited to:
- Warning the harasser to cease their behavior and that any further reports will result in other sanctions
- Requiring that the harasser avoid any interaction with, and physical proximity to, their victim for the remainder of the event
- Requiring that the harasser immediately leave the Game On Expo event and not return
- Not allowing a person who violated the policy to attend future Game On Entertainment events
- Ending immediately any event responsibilities and privileges the harasser holds and requiring that the harasser not attend future Game On Entertainment events (either indefinitely or for a certain time period)
- Publishing an account of the harassment to other Conventions.
We expect participants to follow these rules in all Game On Expo’s events, and social events, and online communication channels. The Game On Expo staff will help participants contact hotel/venue security or local law enforcement, provide escorts, or otherwise assist those experiencing harassment to feel safe for the duration of the event.
We value your participation in the Game On Expo community, and your efforts to keep Game On Expo a safe and friendly space for all participants!
Ethics & Conduct
Any of the following will be grounds for expulsion from the Game On Expo event without refund:
- Violating any federal, state or local laws, facility rules or convention policies
- Failure to comply with the instructions of the Game On Expo Event security personnel
- Using anything in a threatening or destructive manner against person or property
- Endangering the safety of oneself or others
- Threatening, stealing, cheating or harassing others
If at any time during our event you feel unsafe or feel you were subjected to harassing conduct, please locate a staff member and your concerns will be addressed immediately.